Everything you need to know, from start to finish.
Our goal at Less Stress Moving is to provide our customers with the best moving experience possible. That’s why we’ve created this helpful week-by-week moving checklist! Contact Less Stress Moving today to inquire about our many other helpful services!
8-12 Weeks Before You Move:
- Establish your preferred moving dates.
- Compare school districts.
- Obtain free city reports.
- Set up a sight-seeing trip to your new city.
- If your employer will be paying for the move, get these details in order. Find out if they will be providing you with a lump sum or a direct reimbursement.
- Have a garage sale or donate goods you no longer want or need. This will help save time and money for your upcoming move.
4-8 Weeks Before You Move:
- Contact your local Less Stress Moving agent to schedule a convenient time for a free estimate.
- Start a file for moving receipts, they may be tax deductible.
- Obtain change of address/forwarding address forms from your local post office.
- Check with your school on transferring your children’s school records.
- Research driver’s license/change of address requirements for your state.
- Find out from the IRS or your accountant if your moving expenses are tax deductible.
- Contact your insurance agent to change your address for car and life insurance, and discuss insurance needs for your new home,
- If necessary, select a new bank close to your new home.
- Begin to organize your medical, dental and vision records.
- If necessary, begin to research doctors in your new area, or notify your current providers of the address change.
3 Weeks Before You Move:
- Make a decision on whether you will pack your own cartons or if you’d like to utilize Less Stress Moving’s professional packing services. See which packages you will need at our packing materials guide.
- Begin the packing process if you are doing it yourself.
- Compile all personal records.
2 Weeks Before You Move:
- Plan to use all the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Deep clean your home and clear basement and attics.
- Cancel all current delivery services such as newspapers.
- Update address for online services such as Amazon, Netflix, or Google Maps.
- Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to your new local pharmacy.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower and other power tools if they are to be moved.
- Cancel or transfer your home security service.
- Cancel, transfer, or establish utilities for your new address, such as cable, internet, phone, water, gas, and electric. Inquire about our partnership with homes.org to help with this process.
1 Week Before You Move:
- Confirm travel arrangements for your family and pets if needed.
- Confirm move time and discuss any last-minute details with Less Stress Moving.
- Provide contact phone numbers for your Less Stress Moving agent so that you are accessible during your move.
- Clean your refrigerator and freezer, stove, microwave, etc.
- Only use those household items that you’ll need, such as sheets, towels, a few pans and dishes. Make sure everything else is ready to be moved.
- Schedule a cleaning company to do a deep clean of your new house so you won’t have to worry about too much cleaning on moving day.
The Day Before Your Move:
- Pack a box of first night/morning essentials for the family including clothes, coffee maker, cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc.
- Throw out or pack what is left in the refrigerator.
- Make sure your boxes are properly labeled and that boxes with essentials are marked as such.
- Ensure all moving paperwork is in order and easily accessible.
When you’re ready to check us off your to-do list, give Less Stress Moving a call. For additional help with moving, check out our moving tips, Less Stress Strategies, packing tips and packing materials guide pages. Our courteous and professional staff are ready to set up your free estimate today!